In 2013, a joint venture of Niras/BBC launched a four-year media development programme www.mymedia.org.ua, funded by the Danish Foreign Ministry. The programme works in Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Turkey.
MYMEDIA has investigative journalism as a top priority, implemented through Project Objective.
In view of the extraordinary situation in and around Ukraine, Objective has defined the following focus for its Spring/Summer 2014 call for applications:
1. Regional consequences of the ‘Maidan’ in Ukraine
- Will the ‘Maidan’ in Ukraine be followed by others? The reaction of local governments, regimes, civil society, political parties?
- The relations between countries in the former Soviet Union and Russia and/or the West after the changes in Ukraine?
2. Democracy and civil society in Ukraine
- ‘Revolution’ or? Has the ‘Maidan’ resulted in a new type of politics, new actors, democracy or?
Objective is looking for longer, reportages and analyses of what politics in Ukraine looks like in light of the ‘Maidan’. The focus is less on traditional elections/party reportages – more on the burning questions most Ukranians have: what has changed in Ukrainian politics? What has not? Methods, aims, civil Soviety participation, initiatives and monitoring?
3. The war in Ukraine – reportages on and analyses of:
- the pro-Russian separatists, their sources of support, aims, the nature of Kremlin involvement, Russia’s goals
- the effectiveness of Ukrainian military, police and border guard response
- the attitudes of local residents, the extent of genuine support for Russian separatism and possible solutions for the Ukrainian state
4. Media Ownership in the region and its political consequences.
5. Investigations on other topics are also welcome.
Your application should include:
- Applicant name/address/telephone/cell phone/email address and brief CV
- A short description of the project title, description/hypothesis and significance
- Amount of time required/estimated deadline
- Proposed media for publication
- Amount of funding needed and itemized budget
The programme supports written, audio, video and multimedia materials, in any language of the region.
Objective retains the right to publish all supported materials simultaneously with the producing journalist’s own media of choice, as well as translating, disseminating all materials produced within the programme for free after the initial publication.
Applications should be sent to the Objective coordinator Brian Bonner on the following email: email@example.com
Apllications will be acepted and evaluated on an ongoing basis, by Objective editors, specialists, and the management of MYMEDIA.
You can follow Objective on: www.mymedia.org.ua, and on https://www.facebook.com/groups/515807561823689.